Friday, November 21, 2003

Home Sweet Home

We're back in KL now, drove down from Kerteh at 6 am and reached the city around 11 am. The streets were jam packed with cars, as expected. Ultimate patience was needed but I was up to it and we reached my Bangsar home around noon after manouvering through Kenny Hills and the Damansara interchange.

The last time I was in KL was about 2 months ago. Being back to my hometown of Bangsar really made me realise how much I missed being here. I was born here in Bangsar and I've been living here until I was 17, when I left for further studies in the UK. Driving around the neighborhood gave me a sense of belonging and I sort of reminiscience to various things I did here years ago. The place where I played video games without the knowledge of my parents and the location where my bike was stolen. The McDonalds where I used to hang out while doing Geography questions preparing for my SRP. And many more memories just came gushing in. The place is busier now, with more shops and cafes on every corner but I just loved the area and wished I can be here forever.

I went for terawih prayers at the local mosque, Masjid Abu Bakar As-Siddiq in Bangsar. I basically grew up here, went for afternoon religious classes from the age of 6 to 12 and had been involved in various activities such as Khemah Ibadah. I once considered it to be my second home but as the years gone by, my visits there have been reduced to the occasional Friday prayers. Rather sad about it but I'm too far away to make frequent visits there.

Anyway, there was a khatam quran session for those involved in the tadarus (reading of Quran) throughout the fasting month. Abah is a participant so we all went for the session followed by the breaking of fast at the mosque. After terawih prayers, there was a sort of a quiz conducted by the mosque and the questions were related to Islamic history and knowledge on the Quran. It was quite a fun session and I realised how much I didn't know about the area. Didn't manage to answer any questions correctly but totally enjoyed the time.

Our time in KL is limited, only until the afternoon of first Hari Raya. I intend to make the most of it by spending time with my siblings and just being in the house. There's just no place like home. Despite the fact that at the moment, I'm based in Kerteh, it doesn't mean that I cannot enjoy the home in which I grew up in.