Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Chiro Flashback: Fasting in Europe

This shall be the first among many blog entries on the many experiences I had during my student days in London. To me, the period between Jan 1994 to July 1999 was the defining moment in my life. I suppose I really grew up during that time. There were many lessons in life from that 'age', some bad but a lot of them good. Why the name "Chiro"? Well, I used to live with four good friends; Bik, Farouk, Chaks & Basheer in a 3-room apartment which used to be a Chiropractor clinic somewhere along Edgware Road, in the middle of Central London. So, we called ourselves "Chiros". It's just something for us to define ourselves by and one the many names, my good friend & room mate, Farouk created. (Guys, remember Red Nose Reindeer, Ting, ABG, Braecol and Durian & Monyet?) I believe all of them would agree that the time spent there was THE best times ever. And if not, I definitely believe so. Since coming back from the UK, I've shared among a close group of friends two articles revolving the topic of living as Chiros. I am owing them one article this year, which I promised to send by April Fool's Day every year but it has been such a hectic year. Nevertheless, better late than never, so here goes boys. Enjoy the walk down memory lane...

It is less than a week to Hari Raya and so Ramadan, the fasting month is fast coming to an end. I remember how torturing fasting used to be as a young boy. The days seemed to crawl oh so very slowly and I just couldn't stand the heat. Now, I feel as though I don't want the month to end, it's kind of cool to just have one main meal per day even though I don't think there's much reduction on my overall BMI. However, in the past few days, I have been going through my mental records, recalling the days of fasting while in London. There are many experiences such as breaking fast (iftar) during lectures with a chocolate bar, iftar with the Muslim community in my college and tirelessly explaining to the Mat Sallehs what fasting is all about. However, three events stood out from the 6 Ramadan's I went through there.

Firstly was going for terawih at Malaysia Hall. Every night, the Malaysian community held a terawih session and it was a good opportunity to come together. Most of the congregation were students of course and some of the many Arabs living in that area. Our apartment was just a 10 minutes walk from Malaysia Hall, so we always try to pray terawih there. One image which stood out in my mind was Farouk walking in the freezing cold from the apartment to the Hall wearing a kain pelikat. I can't imagine how many people must have stared at him that night. But then Farouk was one who would do all these funny things and we adore him for that. Another main attraction about terawih was the 'MORE' (meals after prayers). Man, on this one month, the food was really, really good. The sponsors didn't really hold on the budget for that month. Us students didn't really care, it was excellent and free food, what more can a money-stricken student in London ask for? Hey, we were living in Central London okay where the rents were sky high.

Second total recall was during the Ramadan in my third year, final year for Farouk and Chaks. I think it was in Jan 1998. For some reason, Farouk suddenly became quiet and subdued, unlike his normal bubbly self. People that knew Farouk at that time would describe him as an ever-grinning, funny, vertically-challenged and never serious guy, except during exam season. He's more serious nowadays but on some rare moments when we meet up, I could see those traits are still there. So, when Farouk wasn't talking anymore and just gave smile when we talked to him, of course we were very much concerned. Bik and I held a theory that he was TAKEN by aliens, replacing inside him with another being, he was THAT different. There was once, he quietly went to the Halal Fried Chicken take away further up the Edgware Road without telling any of us. When he came back, he ate the meal alone quietly inside his 'brothel'. We were quite stunned because it was just never done before. Usually we would go together and he knew that we didn't buy any food yet. That was just a funny experience to remember. A few days later, he wrote an email to all of us explaining the reason which was that he will be going back to Malaysia at the end of the academic year while most of us would still be in the UK studying. I think I can understand his fears and concerns at that time, I would become an alien too if the same things went through my mind. Today, we're still good friends even though I don't have the luxury to spend a lot of time with the guys like Farouk, Bik, Mukhriz & Chaks. I very much want to but I have to compromise between family and friends. But they will always be like brothers to me.

The final recall was the time when I inter-railed with Bik from Spain to Morrocco and back with a stopover in Portugal. I believe it was Dec 1998 and also in the fasting month. Never knew why I agreed to such a hair-brained idea by Bik to travel at that time, I lost so much weight some people didn't recognise me. The conditions wasn't really favourable, freezing cold and windy but we survived to tell the story. We almost got tricked by a hustler in Tangiers, Morrocco but Bik saved the day with his stubbornness. I ate a half of delicious roasted chicken (there must be something with me & chicken) in Casablanca and oh yes, who can forget the breaking of fast in Marrakesh when a couple of Moroccan guys offered dates & sweet cakes to us?

I need to say this. The situation before the beginning of the journey wasn't really conducive for myself & Bik and I was seriously contemplating to cancel the trip. But we've paid a lot for the inter-rail and bus tickets so what to do? My own mind was somewhere else and I suppose I was kind of an ass to Bik during most of the journey. But he's a great friend and was always patient with my antics. Bik, remember the acting/role-playing session I did inside the hotel room in Rabat or Casablanca? Truly sorry for that, man. Hehehehe. A lof of other things happened on that journey. I left my jacket on a train and it was sub zero in Spain at that time. I even fell sick but I got my beloved jacket back. Staying in cheap hotel rooms with no hot water. Happening night life in Marrakesh with shows and food stalls. Bik also almost didn't get into Morocco because of some visa issue but luckily it was the immigration's officer fault. Stupid Spanish guy. It was an unforgettable journey and all of it was done during the fasting month.

So, there you have it. It's amazing that all these events are still clear as though you went through them yesterday. It's good to remember the past but you don't have to live in the past. You can learn a lot from history, even your own life's. To all my Chiro mates, have a happy fasting month. Next, Hari Raya in London.

P/S: Wanted to scan the hari raya greeting card we printed with our group picture at Marble Arch, but couldn't find it lah. I have put some pictures in my photoblog, do browse there for pictures of men when they were just boys.