Friday, March 05, 2004

And the Excitement Level Goes Up a Notch

MGG Pillai, you're proven wrong again. You said the general election won't be held on the same day as the F1 race. Well, the SPR said to hell with the F1 and decides that Malaysia will go out to vote on that very date, which is in 16 days time, 21st of March. I'm a bit excited this time because it's going to be the first time I'll be voting. I'm registered in Pantai Dalam parliament constituency in Kuala Lumpur so I plan to be there on the morning of 21st March. On the contrary, Awi is registered here in Kerteh so it's quite a situation we're in but we're both adamant to be responsible citizens and cast our votes. So, we'll think of something.

I'm not really keen to reveal my political affiliation but most of friends would know anyway. I was one of the idealistic people born out of the 1998 Anwar Ibrahim episode. I even went to see the man a few days before he was arrested in Bukit Damansara. I've been to a few of Kak Wan's Hari Raya open houses whenever I had the opportunity. I'd readily admit to anyone that my political hero is the Parti Keadilan's Youth Leader, Ezam Md Noor. There was also this one hilarious experience I had with Cu which I don't want to share here for fear of being scolded by Mak. Hehehehe, whatever it is we rocked the house that night, right Cu?

Please don't rush out to admonish me as being ungrateful and so on. I know how the system works and I've had the opportunity to see governments change in the UK without so much of a tremor. I know the country is working fine as it is under the current party but I believe we can be a better country with a stronger opposition inside Parliament and state assemblies. We want a better check and balance on the government. One of the cancer attacking our country now is corruption and it can destroy the country if not put into check. I hope one day the ACA will be independent and seen to be independent by making it report directly to Parliament.

There are so many things I would want which I hope can be achieved if we have a stronger opposition. However, I do know the reality and I'm sure the same parties will return to power except for some changes in seats. It's going to be interesting to see the results coming in on that Sunday night. Can't wait for it to come. :)