Tuesday, May 25, 2004

People Management

"Lawa baju". "Merahnya!!". I've been getting these remarks from almost everybody when I walk around my old company. The new jacket colour is flaming red which can be seen from miles away. In the beginning I was quite self conscious to wear the new jacket but my friend Am just didn't seem to give a damn wearing it, so I'm now more comfortable wearing it everywhere. :)

It has been quite an experience to be thrown into an unfamiliar territory and to take up quite a major task, the biggest so far in my short working career. I see now that the most difficult is in managing people, not the technology or working culture. It is the people that we have to take care of. In my new working environment, I can see a lot of the people whom I'm interacting with are wary of our presence. Some are not sure how to deal with us, some are just downright cold as ice. Which is to be expected but not really what it should be. People should just be professional especially in handing over tasks and responsibilities. It's now we're the ones who are causing all these. It's the people up there, our bosses. If you don't like it, take it up with them not us, who just want to move forward and get on with our lives. You chose your path and I have chosen mine. We should just respect each other.

On this matter, I'm quite impressed with how Am has been dealing some 'difficult' people. He's just being happy-go-lucky, sometimes acting manja-like, but never showing discomfort or anger. We know that we're getting a not-so-good deal but our passion for the job and if we do things well, I'm sure will bear sweet fruits in the future. As been said before, the power of 3 will work wonders in this region. Whatever challenges lies ahead, we can overcome them if we use our heads and work together. Nothing is impossible, right? Regardless of the colour of the jacket we wear, what matters is what we do and produce. The rest is just cosmetics and makeup.