Monday, December 15, 2003

Turning 27!

It was my 27th birthday yesterday, 14 December 2003. It's not such an immensely long period of time, only 27 years since I landed on this Earth. In the hereafter, 27 years will be just like a blink of an eye. But I suppose I've gone through quite a lot in the past 27 years. Abah commented to me when he called to wish me Happy Birthday, that he only got married at 28. I've already got a son at 27. Hehehe. Talk about being advanced.

Anyway, didn't do anything special on this supposedly special day. Came to work but my god, I was so not in the mood. The family in Bangsar joined Abah's office trip to Kuala Selangor and from what I heard, it was really a fun trip. Its been a while since we went somewhere as a family. Hopefully, we can do something like that once in a while. Of course, it's nice to be at the house in Bangsar, eating together etc, but going on a trip or holiday with your extended family, it's kind of like old times when we were small. Oh well, good things never last and you just have to rely on memories to relive it.

Awi told me that she wants to bring me out to dinner somewhere, just the three of us (Haziq will act as the chaperone). I suggested Awana Kijal Resort, that's the only closest classy place around here. What I didn't know was that she had been scheming with Shai, Am, Junai and other close friends on having a surprise birthday for me!! On our way out to Awana, Awi got an emergency call from Shai, saying that Junai was vomitting and feeling sick. Well, Junai had complained a few times to me during the day that he wasn't feeling well so I didn't suspect anything lah. So, we got to Shai's house, and he came running out. While driving up to the house, I noticed some people sitting around, which was rather suspicious to me. Come on lah, if someone is like sick near you, wouldn't you help by doing something like sending the poor guy to the clinic or something? Well, being the sharp guy I am, I had a strong feeling something was up, went close to the door, heard some soft voices and Junai stifling a laugh, I knew it then, they're having a surprise party for me. My first thought, "Oh well, there goes my Western dinner down the drain!!". :)

Anyway, there were cake, candles, nasi dagang (a Terengganu delicacy) and spaghetti-ala Shai. For entertainment the host had prepared a home-made karaoke parlour right in his living room. It has been a while since I did something like last night. So, all in all, a great time indeed, in the middle of sleepy Kerteh town.