Thursday, November 13, 2003

An excellent setup

The department finally confirmed the leave that all of us will be taking during the Hari Raya holidays. It is always a sticky issue for us, every year during this period because everyone don't want to be on standby during a long holiday. Nevertheless, we are a service department for the whole company so it is imperative for us to provide the excellent service we profess to give. This time around, I decided to volunteer on this one day, where initially none of us wanted to come on. It is the 3rd Hari Raya and according to our plans, we would be in Awi's hometown of Bidor, Perak after spending first day of raya in KL at my parents house. I suppose it is a bit crazy because I will be literally criss crossing the peninsular of Malaysia from the West Coast to the East Coast within a span of 2 days. However, that is the decision of the management and for the sake of everyone, I'll just take up the challenge.

You see, throughout my short working life (more than 4 years now), the past one year and a half had been the most satisfying for me. I know there's a lot more years to go through, but I can confidently state that the times in ICM, EPEMSB was the best working years I will ever had. It is a small setup of 6 persons but the relationship and working environment is so much better than what I previously experienced. Foremost, I am doing something that I love, and even though it is full of challenges and hair wringing moments, but looking back, I don't regret leaving my previous position. The expectations is higher than ever, even today I got kind of a minor slamming by the boss but I see it as a challenge to do better. My current boss does a lot of coaching and tried to bring the best out of everyone. He challenges us a lot but I believe it is all for our own benefits. I also won't trade my workmates for anything. Am and Wan have both helped me in so many ways from day one and even though at times, other people would think that we're having a fight or something due to the volume of discussion, it was all friendly banter between us. The teamwork is just excellent and at times, the work does seem overwhelming. Like during the recent virus attack, we had to spend late nights at the office but we managed to do it all because I can see that all of us loved what we do. It's not because we had to do it but because we know that it's our responsibility. It is a pity that most probably next year, this excellent setup will be broken up due to some management decision which none of us can do much.

It is because of this I don't mind having to make certain sacrifices because I know I have gained so much during this one year and half. Giving a little of my time and effort would be the correct thing to do.