Saturday, August 28, 2004

A Lot Has Happened

The Astro current tagline is "Macam macam Ada" or MMA. That kind of rings true for me as well as to what had happened since the last blog entry. At that time, I just came back from sending Awi and Haziq to Bidor. Later during that week, Awi then came down alone to KL to attend her training in Bangi. Haziq was left under the care of Awi's parents. At first, we all thought Haziq will cry his eyes out upon being left behind but he was just fine with his Atok & Opah actually. It was the mother (and the father a bit lah) that worried but nothing bad happened and my boy was fine and happy there, even making friends with cats, chickens and 2 Indian girls living in the neighbourhood.

Haziq was left in Bidor a three nights before we both came to take him down to KL. We joined Abah's company trip to A Famosa, Ayer Keroh. It was a lot of fun with Haziq playing at the water park, saw a lot of animals and basically chilling out with the whole Nik Farid Kamil clan. All of the five siblings joined in the trip including Razif, Razi and Iskandar. It's been sometime since we were able to join in family trips such as those, I think, this was the first since Adiknor got married.

We came back from Malacca on Sunday and the plan was to drive back to Kerteh on Monday. We did get some distance on the journey as the car broke down on the Karak highway. For some reason, the radiator cap came off and all the water had turned to steam causing for the engine to fail. It was a really distressing moment for me. I personally checked the radiator water level one week before embarking on the journey and it was fine. I'm sure I put the cap on really tight at that time. Anyway, what to do, we had to travel back to Bangsar with this good Samaritan and the car was left to be repaired. I was in a really foul mood because I've planned to go back and now everything had gone haywire. At that particular time, there's some sort of crisis at work as a virus was on the loose, a computer virus that is. I'm sure the boss wasn't that happy with me being in KL at that time and now having delayed my comeback, I don't suppose I'll be in his good books for some weeks.

The next day, we decided to borrow Adiknor's car since the repairs will take more than one day. (At the moment of writing, after 10 days, the car is still not ready). So we drove back and along the way, I succumbed to a bout of flu and was just glad to be back in Kerteh safely. My colleagues were working the night off to clear the virus from affected PCs but I just don't have the energy to join them.

Rightly so, the next day the boss kind of 'sindir2' me for being away while they had to face the crisis. I just make dumb je lah, what to do, certain things were just out of my powers. I can't be at the office all the time, right? The others just have to make do, I suppose. Nobody is indispensable, in my opinion.

Then a few days after coming home, Haziq got the fever, his body temperature shot up. We went to see a normal GP a couple of time, gave him the medicine but it was only short relief. Last Saturday, we brought him to see a paeditrician in Kuantan and he prescribed some antibiotic to Haziq. He felt fine for a few days then on Tuesday, his body became hot again and it won't come down even after we gave him the fever medicine. So on Wednesday, we went down to Kuantan again to see the doctor. He offered to ward him but we were not so keen to do that and so a stronger antibiotic was given. Alhamdulillah, after a few days, his body temperature is now back to normal and has remained for a couple of days.

Adiknor also experienced something unfortunate this week. She had a miscarriage on Tuesday and had to undergo a short operation to take out the feotus, if that is the right term, at 10 weeks old. I do feel pity for her and Razi because she was so excited about wanting a baby and I hope they'll try again. She'll be 24 this year and Insyallah, kalau ada rezeki, they'll have many babies in the future.

My newphew, Iskandar also got the same symptoms that Haziq experienced. Fever coming on and off, especially during the night. It's kind of worrying if there's some sort of virus going around. We've been calling it the Malacca since both of them got sick a few days after that trip. Maybe it's the hot weather or the late night at the Cowboy Town. Whatever it is, we should take caution in the future especially, like Haziq who had to travel every 3 days or so, average.

As I mentioned in the beginning, it sure has been a busy 3 weeks. There's a lot to be done at work as well, things are progressing reasonably but my team needs to be pushed further. It's a challenging environment and we need to prepare for what's to come.